Biology of Pluripotent Stem Cells
Our first priority was the derivation and maintenance of embryonic stem cells from mice and humans. Accordingly, we could derive 11 lines of human embryonic stem cells and more than 170 lines of mouse embryonic stem cells from 2002 until now. In recent years, we have focused on the generation of new embryonic stem cell lines by new signaling pathways, induced pluripotent stem cells, the biology of embryonic stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells, mechanisms of pluripotency, optimization the culture and maintenance of pluripotent stem cells and the scale-up culture of these cells for biomedical applications.
A) Scale up culture of embryonic stem cells by spinner flasks. B) Morphology of mouse embryonic stem cells. C) Characterization of human embryonic stem cells and human induced pluripotent stem cells. D) Immunostaining of human induced pluripotent stem cells for some specific pluripotency markers.
• Long-Term maintenance of undifferentiated human embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells in suspension. Larijani MR, Seifinejad A, Pournasr B, Hajihoseini V, Hassani SN, Totonchi M, Yousefi M, Shamsi F, Salekdeh GH, Baharvand H. Stem Cells Dev. 2011 Feb 24. [Epub ahead of print
• Presence of a ROCK inhibitor in extracellular matrix supports more undifferentiated growth of feeder-free human embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells upon passaging. Pakzad M, Totonchi M, Taei A, Seifinejad A, Hassani SN, Baharvand H. Stem Cell Rev. 2010 Mar;6(1):96-107.
• Generation of liver disease-specific induced pluripotent stem cells along with efficient differentiation to functional hepatocyte-like cells. Ghodsizadeh A, Taei A, Totonchi M, Seifinejad A, Gourabi H, Pournasr B, Aghdami N, Malekzadeh R, Almadani N, Salekdeh GH, Baharvand H. Stem Cell Rev. 2010 Dec;6(4):622-32.
• Derivation of new human embryonic stem cell lines from preimplantation genetic screening and diagnosis-analyzed embryos. Taei A, Gourabi H, Seifinejad A, Totonchi M, Shahbazi E, Valojerdi MR, Eftekhari P, Karimian L, Baharvand H. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim. 2010 Apr;46(3-4):395-402. Epub 2010 Feb 23.
• Ultrastructural changes of sheep cumulus-oocyte complexes following different methods of vitrification. Ebrahimi B, Valojerdi MR, Eftekhari-Yazdi P, Baharvand H. Zygote. 2011 Feb 17:1-13.
• In vitro maturation, apoptotic gene expression and incidence of numerical chromosomal abnormalities following cryotop vitrification of sheep cumulus-oocyte complexes. Ebrahimi B, Valojerdi MR, Eftekhari-Yazdi P, Baharvand H. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2010 May;27(5):239-46. Epub 2010 Mar 9.
• An efficient and easy-to-use cryopreservation protocol for human ES and iPS cells. Baharvand H, Salekdeh GH, Taei A, Mollamohammadi S. Nat Protoc. 2010;5(3):588-94. Epub 2010 Mar 4.
• IVM and gene expression of sheep cumulus-oocyte complexes following different methods of vitrification. Ebrahimi B, Valojerdi MR, Eftekhari-Yazdi P, Baharvand H, Farrokhi A. Reprod Biomed Online. 2010 Jan;20(1):26-34. Epub 2009 Oct 30.