Hossein Baharvand, Ph.D
Sahar Kiani, Ph.D
Sahar Kiani received her B.Sc from the Department of Biology at Azad University in 2001. She continued her education in the Medical University of Mashhad. She joined the laboratory of Professor Boskabady at the Medical University of Mashhad and graduated with an M.Sc in Physiology in 2003. Then, she began her Ph.D at Tarbiat Modarres University and Royan Institute, emphasizing the electrophysiology of human embryonic stem cells during neural differentiation, in the laboratory of Professor Baharvand at Royan Institute in 2006 and graduated in 2010. She currently works as a member of the academic staff at Royan Institute. Her major research interest has been motor neurons, particularly spinal cord injuries.
Kourosh Shahpasand (Ph.D)
Fahimeh Khayatan (MSc)
Amir M Malvandi (M.Sc)
Shiva Nemati (M.Sc)
Alireza Pouya (M.Sc)
Ebrahim Shahbazi (M.Sc)
Hassan Ansari (M.Sc)
Ali Fathi (Ph.D)
Ali Rahjouei (M.Sc)
Fereshteh Sargholi (M.Sc)
Azadeh Zahabi (M.Sc)
Maryam Yousefi (M.Sc)
The availability of self-renewing stem cells has provided new perspectives for the development of neuroregenerative therapies. A key focus of our research is the derivation of defined neurons and glia from embryonic and induced pluripotent embryonic stem cells. Using a variety of differentiation protocols and transplantation and disease models, we are exploring the potential for these cells to integrate into the nervous system and contribute to functional repair.
Neural progenitor cells in the present of small molecule CHIR.
Retinal pigmented epithelium (RPE) cell-derived pluripotent stem cells.
Neurobiology and Regenerative Medicine Program Initiative (NRMPI)
• Interactions of human embryonic stem cell-derived neural progenitors with an electrospun nanofibrillar surface in vitro. Rahjouei A, Kiani S, Zahabi A, Mehrjardi NZ, Hashemi M, Baharvand H. Int J Artif Organs. 2011 Jul 17.
• ong-term self-renewable feeder-free human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived neural progenitors. Nemati S, Hatami M, Kiani S, Hemmesi K, Gourabi H, Masoudi N, Alaei S, Baharvand H. Stem Cells Dev. 2011 Mar;20(3):503-14.
• Dehydroepiandrosterone stimulates neurogenesis in mouse embryonal carcinoma cell- and human embryonic stem cell-derived neural progenitors and induces dopaminergic neurons. Azizi H, Mehrjardi NZ, Shahbazi E, Hemmesi K, Bahmani MK, Baharvand H. Stem Cells Dev. 2010 Jun;19(6):809-18.
• Proteome analysis of brain in murine experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Fazeli AS, Nasrabadi D, Sanati MH, Pouya A, Ibrahim SM, Baharvand H, Salekdeh GH. Proteomics. 2010 Aug;10(15):2822-32.
• Electrospun nanofibrillar surfaces promote neuronal differentiation and function from human embryonic stem cells. Shahbazi E, Kiani S, Gourabi H, Baharvand H. Tissue Eng Part A. 2011 Jul 8.
• Application of conductive polymers, scaffolds and electrical stimulation for nerve tissue engineering. Ghasemi-Mobarakeh L, Prabhakaran MP, Morshed M, Nasr-Esfahani MH, Baharvand H, Kiani S, Al-Deyab SS, Ramakrishna S. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2011 Apr;5(4):e17-35.
• Differentiation of human embryonic stem cell-derived retinal progenitors into retinal cells by sonic hedgehog and/or retinal pigmented epithelium and transplantation into the subretinal space of sodium iodate-injected rabbits. Amirpour N, Karamali F, Rabiee F, Rezaei L, Esfandiari E, Razavi S, Dehghani A, Razmju H, Nasr-Esfahani MH, Baharvand H. Stem Cells Dev. 2011 Jun 1 [Epub ahead of print]
• The expression of peroxisomal protein transcripts increased by retinoic acid during neural differentiation. Ostadsharif M, Ghaedi K, Hossein Nasr-Esfahani M, Mojbafan M, Tanhaie S, Karbalaie K, Baharvand H. Differentiation. 2011 Feb;81(2):127-32. Epub 2010 Dec 9.
• Application of conductive polymers, scaffolds and electrical stimulation for nerve tissue engineering. Ghasemi-Mobarakeh L, Prabhakaran MP, Morshed M, Nasr-Esfahani MH, Baharvand H, Kiani S, Al-Deyab SS, Ramakrishna S. J Tissue Eng Regen Med.2011 Apr;5(4):e17-35. Doi: 10.1002/term.383. Epub 2011 Jan 10
• Neuronal induction and regional identity by co-culture of adherent human embryonic stem cells with chicken notochords and somites. Salehi H, Karbalaie K, Razavi S, Tanhaee S, Nematollahi M, Sagha M, Nasr-Esfahani MH, Baharvand H. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55(3):321-6.
• Induced in vitro differentiation of neural-like cells from human exfoliated deciduous teeth-derived stem cells. Nourbakhsh N, Soleimani M, Taghipour Z, Karbalaie K, Mousavi SB, Talebi A, Nadali F, Tanhaei S, Kiyani GA, Nematollahi M, Rabiei F, Mardani M, Bahramiyan H, Torabinejad M, Nasr-Esfahani MH, Baharvand H. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55(2):189-95.
• Evidence for a dynamic role of the linker histone variant H1x during retinoic acid-induced differentiation of NT2 cells. Shahhoseini M, Favaedi R, Baharvand H, Sharma V, Stunnenberg HG. FEBS Lett. 2010 Nov 19;584(22):4661-4. Epub 2010 Oct 26.
• Effect of poly-L-lysine coating on retinoic acid-loaded PLGA microspheres in the differentiation of carcinoma stem cells into neural cells. Nojehdehian H, Moztarzadeh F, Baharvand H, Mehrjerdi NZ, Nazarian H, Tahriri M. Int J Artif Organs. 2010 Oct;33(10):721-30.
• Epigenetic analysis of human embryonic carcinoma cells during retinoic acid-induced neural differentiation. Shahhoseini M, Taei A, Mehrjardi NZ, Salekdeh GH, Baharvand H. Biochem Cell Biol. 2010 Jun;88(3):527-38.
• Novel method to obtain highly enriched cultures of adult rat Schwann cells. Niapour A, Karamali F, Karbalaie K, Kiani A, Mardani M, Nasr-Esfahani MH, Baharvand H. Biotechnol Lett. 2010 Jun;32(6):781-6. Epub 2010 Mar 7.
• Toxicity of ecstasy (MDMA) towards embryonic stem cell-derived cardiac and neural cells. Meamar R, Karamali F, Sadeghi HM, Etebari M, Nasr-Esfahani MH, Baharvand H. Toxicol In Vitro. 2010 Jun;24(4):1133-8. Epub 2010 Mar 15.